Thirty five Orthodox Christian
families residing at Mira-Bhayander, who were
the members of St. GEORGE ORTHODOX CHURCH Borivali,
felt the need for a separate parish at Mira-Bhayander.
The issue was discussed time and again and finally decided to name the
proposed parish after St.Gregorios of Parumala.
Accordingly a delegation representing
Mira-Bhayander Orthodox Christians met His
Grace Philipose Mar Theophilos
Metropolitan and His Grace Geevarghese Mar Coorilos, Asst. Metropolitan of Mumbai Diocese on
several times at Vashi Aramana.
After many persuasions His Grace convinced of genuine necessity and
permitted to celebrate the feast of St. Gregorios
Church - Madbaha
The faithful assembled at the
residence of Shri K.U. Abraham at Asmita Hill
View, Mira Road (E) and passed a resolution confirming the erstwhile
decision of independent parish and its proposed name and also emulated
future plans for raising funds for immediate needs.
A delegation met Sr. Johanna of Holy
Cross Convent, Mira Road and sought her permission to conduct service
at their premises and the Sister gracefully permitted to utilize the
fourth floor corridor of Holy Cross Convent School.
The first holy Qurbana and feast of St. Gregorios
was celebrated on 4th November 1994 at 4th floor corridor of Holy Cross
Convent School, Mira Road by Rev. Fr. Paul Mathew of St. Paul’s Mission
Centre Mavelikara. Thereafter Holy Qurbana has been conducted on Sunday evening on the
availability of priests from the diocese till declaration of independent
ORTHODOX CHURCH, Mira-Bhayander has been
declared as independent parish with effect from 1st June 1995 comprising
members of erstwhile St. George Orthodox Church Borivli
who resides at Mira-Bhayander and all other
Orthodox Christian resides in Mira-Bhayander by
an order of Diocesan Metropolitan and appointed Rev. Fr. C.J. Varghese as
its First Vicar. searched for a suitable place
for worship. A trust viz. ST. GREGORIOS ORTHODOX CHARITABLE SOCIETY is
registered vide Reg. No. MAH/479/96 THANE DT. 31/01/1996 under Bombay
Public Trust Act.
Golden and glorious chapters have
been added to human history by towering personalities who swam across
the currents of their contemporary world. Mar Gregorios
of Parumala (1848-1902), a man who walked
much ahead of his times stands out as a great luminary in the modern
history of Malankara Orthodox Church. He is the only formally canonized
Saint of the Church. A man of impeccable prayer life and spotless
character, the Saint acquired divine wisdom and extra healing powers
even when he was alive. He is held in high esteem and respect by the
Christians and non Christians for his
invaluable contributions as a social reformer.
Living in a very conservative society
of the 19th century, he raised his voice against social evils like
untouchability and racial discrimination. St. Gregorios
was a great visionary who very well understood the need for educating
the masses. He established many schools in Kerala to eradicate
illiteracy. Above all, his contributions in the literary field stand
out as unique. He was the pioneer in writing the first travelogue in
Malayalam. The Saint entered to his heavenly abode in 1902 and his
mortal remains are entombed in Parumala,